Lawyers for Psychotherapists
We assist psychotherapists facing complaints, discipline hearings, and other regulatory issues at the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).The lawyers at GlickLaw have acted as external legal counsel for years to numerous health colleges governed by the Regulated Health Professions Act (“RHPA”) and have significant experience in professional regulation and discipline. Draw on our knowledge and experience to respond to complaints and investigations, defend yourself against allegations of professional misconduct, or deal with any other issue you may be facing with your regulator.
We can assist and act for Psychotherapists on a wide range of matters including:
- Responding to complaints and investigations at the College of Registered Psychotherapists Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (“ICRC”);
- Representing psychotherapists in hearings before the College of Registered Psychotherapists Discipline Committee or Fitness to Practise Committee;
- Appealing decisions of the ICRC to the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”);
- Representing psychotherapists in hearings and reviews of Registration Committee decisions before HPARB;
- Appealing decisions of HPARB, the Discipline Committee or the Fitness to Practise Committee to the Divisional Court;
- Representing psychotherapists in criminal or quasi-criminal proceedings under the Criminal Code or Provincial Offences Act;
- Representing psychotherapists in applications and civil litigation before the Superior Court of Justice;
- Assisting psychotherapists in applications for registration and in making written submissions to the Registration Committee;
- Assisting psychotherapists with audits and quality assurance programs;
- Advising psychotherapists on compliance with the RHPA, Psychotherapy Act, 1991 and other relevant legislation and regulations; and
- Advising psychotherapists on professional practice issues, such as record-keeping, privacy and confidentiality, billing and insurance, and reporting.