We assist nurses facing complaints, discipline hearings, and other regulatory issues at the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). The lawyers at GlickLaw have acted as external legal counsel for years to numerous health colleges governed by the Regulated Health Professions Act (“RHPA”) and have significant experience in professional regulation and discipline. Draw on our knowledge and experience to respond to complaints and investigations, defend yourself against allegations of professional misconduct, or deal with any other issue you may be facing with your regulator.
We can assist and act for nurses on a wide range of matters including:
- Responding to complaints and investigations at the College of Nurses Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (“ICRC”);
- Representing nurses in hearings before the College of Nurses Discipline Committee or Fitness to Practise Committee;
- Appealing decisions of the ICRC to the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board (“HPARB”);
- Representing nurses in hearings and reviews of Registration Committee decisions before HPARB;
- Appealing decisions of HPARB, the Discipline Committee or the Fitness to Practise Committee to the Divisional Court;
- Representing nurses in criminal or quasi-criminal proceedings under the Criminal Code or Provincial Offences Act;
- Representing nurses in applications and civil litigation before the Superior Court of Justice;
- Assisting nurses in applications for registration and in making written submissions to the Registration Committee;
- Assisting nurses with audits and quality assurance programs;
- Advising nurses on compliance with the RHPA, Nursing Act, 1991 and other relevant legislation and regulations; and
- Advising nurses on professional practice issues, such as record-keeping, privacy and confidentiality, and reporting.